Camino de Santiago by Diego

The Camino. Why did I do it? It was an idea that I had in my mind for some time. But I had no specific reason, I just knew I needed to do it. So, I took the chance: being unemployed was the right time to do it, the whole of it, from Somport in the Pyrenees to Santiago de Compostela. 858 Kilometres. I began on the Camino Aragones which is where I met the other pilgrims in this blog.



I also needed to think about my life. I needed to spend time with myself to meditate about several things. And here’s the funny thing about the Camino: I thought about nothing!!! I had no serious thinking about anything on the road. Funny thing because a friend of mine that started the Camino a few days after me returned with so many doubts. He spent most of the time consciously thinking about almost everything in his life. Me? I just felt so great, so relaxed, so calm, so much at peace with myself. I think this is one of the first lessons I learned about the Camino: everyone has to walk their own Camino. The Camino has something for each pilgrim. You may think that you know what you need or how the Camino will work for you, but then the Camino surprises you. You just have to flow with it, you just have to let go control, enjoy the walking and be open to the experience.


I spent 30 days walking. I meet so many wonderful people. I had fun. I had pain (I had tendinitis in both legs). I went through so many wonderful landscapes (I cannot choose one). But once I finished it I cannot say exactly how it affected my life. I just knew, when I arrived at Santiago, that I was not the same person that left Somport thirty days before. I think the Camino leaves a seed that will flourish at the right time.

Diego, a Spanish pilgrim.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hanging up the boots!

Day by Day: The Camino Aragones